PURPOSE: This study was undertaken to evaluate the role of ultrasound (US) elastography in characterising focal breast lesions classified as indeterminate on B-mode US. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Eighty-four focal breast lesions, 64 benign and 20 malignant (mean diameter, 15.1 mm), detected but not characterised on B-mode US in 72 women, Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS) US category 3 (n=56) or category 4 (n=28), were studied with US elastography and classified in consensus by two radiologists according to a five-point colour scale. Sensitivity, specificity and positive and negative predictive values (PPV and NPV) of US elastography compared with conventional US were calculated in relation to microhistology (n=67) and cytology (n=17), which were used as the reference standard. RESULTS: A total of 65/84 (77.4%) lesions were correctly classified as benign or malignant using US elastography, whereas the remaining 19/84 (22.6%) were incorrectly assessed. There were no statistically significant differences between US elastography and B-mode US with regard to sensitivity (70% vs. 68.4%), specificity (79.6% vs. 78.5%), PPV (51.8% vs. 48.1%) and NPV 89% vs. 89.5% (p>0.5). By contrast, a statistically significant difference was noted in the evaluation of BI-RADS 3 lesions, in which US elastography had 50% sensitivity, 86% specificity, 30% PPV and 93.5% NPV compared with BI-RADS 4 lesions (78.6%, 57.1%, 64.7% and 72.7%) (p<0.5). CONCLUSIONS: The high NPV of US elastography may help reduce the use of biopsy in BI-RADS 3 lesions, but its low PPV in BI-RADS 4 lesions does not allow avoidance of biopsy on the basis of the US elastographic score alone in this group of lesions.

Bartolotta, T.V., Ienzi, R., Cirino, A., Genova, C., Ienzi, F., Pitarresi, D., et al. (2011). Characterisation of indeterminate focal breast lesions on grey-scale ultrasound: role of ultrasound elastography. LA RADIOLOGIA MEDICA, 116(116(7)), 1027-1038.

Characterisation of indeterminate focal breast lesions on grey-scale ultrasound: role of ultrasound elastography.

BARTOLOTTA, Tommaso Vincenzo;MIDIRI, Massimo
2011-01-01

Abstract

PURPOSE: This study was undertaken to evaluate the role of ultrasound (US) elastography in characterising focal breast lesions classified as indeterminate on B-mode US. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Eighty-four focal breast lesions, 64 benign and 20 malignant (mean diameter, 15.1 mm), detected but not characterised on B-mode US in 72 women, Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS) US category 3 (n=56) or category 4 (n=28), were studied with US elastography and classified in consensus by two radiologists according to a five-point colour scale. Sensitivity, specificity and positive and negative predictive values (PPV and NPV) of US elastography compared with conventional US were calculated in relation to microhistology (n=67) and cytology (n=17), which were used as the reference standard. RESULTS: A total of 65/84 (77.4%) lesions were correctly classified as benign or malignant using US elastography, whereas the remaining 19/84 (22.6%) were incorrectly assessed. There were no statistically significant differences between US elastography and B-mode US with regard to sensitivity (70% vs. 68.4%), specificity (79.6% vs. 78.5%), PPV (51.8% vs. 48.1%) and NPV 89% vs. 89.5% (p>0.5). By contrast, a statistically significant difference was noted in the evaluation of BI-RADS 3 lesions, in which US elastography had 50% sensitivity, 86% specificity, 30% PPV and 93.5% NPV compared with BI-RADS 4 lesions (78.6%, 57.1%, 64.7% and 72.7%) (p<0.5). CONCLUSIONS: The high NPV of US elastography may help reduce the use of biopsy in BI-RADS 3 lesions, but its low PPV in BI-RADS 4 lesions does not allow avoidance of biopsy on the basis of the US elastographic score alone in this group of lesions.
Settore MED/36 - Diagnostica Per Immagini E Radioterapia
Bartolotta, T.V., Ienzi, R., Cirino, A., Genova, C., Ienzi, F., Pitarresi, D., et al. (2011). Characterisation of indeterminate focal breast lesions on grey-scale ultrasound: role of ultrasound elastography. LA RADIOLOGIA MEDICA, 116(116(7)), 1027-1038.
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
Elastosonography Bartolotta 2011 Radiol Med.pdf

accesso aperto

Descrizione: Articolo completo
Dimensione 288.72 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
288.72 kB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/10447/63573
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 12
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 10
social impact