Objective: 'Self-reported wheat sensitivity' (SRWS) is a self-reported condition caused by wheat ingestion in the absence of celiac disease or wheat allergy. The aim of the study was to investigate the frequency and characteristics of SRWS in outpatients referred for digestive endoscopy. Methods: The study, performed at the University of Palermo, enrolled 496 outpatients. Results: Seven individuals (1.4%) had an already established diagnosis of celiac disease. The questionnaire was administered to the other 489 individuals: 98 subjects (20%) were SRWS, the remaining 391 served as controls (i.e. not-SRWS). SRWS patients were younger (P < 0.001), with a higher percentage of females (P = 0.002) than not-SRWS. 'gastroesophageal reflux disease and ulcer-like dyspepsia' and 'chronic unexplained diarrhea' were more frequently the reasons for the endoscopy study in SRWS than in not-SRWS (P = 0.002, and P = 0.05, respectively). Food allergies/intolerances (P = 0.04), milk allergy/intolerance (P = 0.0001), GERD (P = 0.0001), IBS (0.0001), anxiety (P = 0.005) and depression (P = 0.04) were the previous medical diagnoses reported more frequently in SRWS patients than in not-SRWS. In the SRWS group, 38% of the patients had already undergone previous upper endoscopy and 24% colonoscopy. After these investigations, 58% of SRWS patients received no diagnosis, and the other 42% were informed that they 'were not suffering from celiac disease or wheat allergy'. Finally, 28.6% SRWS patients had followed a gluten-free diet (GFD), and 71.4% of them referred being asymptomatic on GFD. Conclusions: Our data showed a high frequency of SRWS in outpatients referred to a digestive endoscopy center and a lack of medical accuracy in identifying a possible gluten-related disease. Registration: The study was registered on Clinicaltrials.gov (registration number: NCT04154137), accessible at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04154137?term=non+celiac+wheat&draw=2&rank=1.

Mansueto, P., Soresi, M., Peralta, S., Perricone, S., La Blasca, F., Sichera, R., et al. (2021). Self-reported nonceliac wheat sensitivity in an outpatient digestive endoscopy center: high frequency but insufficient medical approach. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY & HEPATOLOGY, Publish Ahead of Print [10.1097/MEG.0000000000002257].

Self-reported nonceliac wheat sensitivity in an outpatient digestive endoscopy center: high frequency but insufficient medical approach

Mansueto, Pasquale;Soresi, Maurizio;La Blasca, Francesco;Sichera, Roberto;Giambalvo, Ornella;Carroccio, Antonio
2021-07-30

Abstract

Objective: 'Self-reported wheat sensitivity' (SRWS) is a self-reported condition caused by wheat ingestion in the absence of celiac disease or wheat allergy. The aim of the study was to investigate the frequency and characteristics of SRWS in outpatients referred for digestive endoscopy. Methods: The study, performed at the University of Palermo, enrolled 496 outpatients. Results: Seven individuals (1.4%) had an already established diagnosis of celiac disease. The questionnaire was administered to the other 489 individuals: 98 subjects (20%) were SRWS, the remaining 391 served as controls (i.e. not-SRWS). SRWS patients were younger (P < 0.001), with a higher percentage of females (P = 0.002) than not-SRWS. 'gastroesophageal reflux disease and ulcer-like dyspepsia' and 'chronic unexplained diarrhea' were more frequently the reasons for the endoscopy study in SRWS than in not-SRWS (P = 0.002, and P = 0.05, respectively). Food allergies/intolerances (P = 0.04), milk allergy/intolerance (P = 0.0001), GERD (P = 0.0001), IBS (0.0001), anxiety (P = 0.005) and depression (P = 0.04) were the previous medical diagnoses reported more frequently in SRWS patients than in not-SRWS. In the SRWS group, 38% of the patients had already undergone previous upper endoscopy and 24% colonoscopy. After these investigations, 58% of SRWS patients received no diagnosis, and the other 42% were informed that they 'were not suffering from celiac disease or wheat allergy'. Finally, 28.6% SRWS patients had followed a gluten-free diet (GFD), and 71.4% of them referred being asymptomatic on GFD. Conclusions: Our data showed a high frequency of SRWS in outpatients referred to a digestive endoscopy center and a lack of medical accuracy in identifying a possible gluten-related disease. Registration: The study was registered on Clinicaltrials.gov (registration number: NCT04154137), accessible at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04154137?term=non+celiac+wheat&draw=2&rank=1.
30-lug-2021
Settore MED/09 - Medicina Interna
Mansueto, P., Soresi, M., Peralta, S., Perricone, S., La Blasca, F., Sichera, R., et al. (2021). Self-reported nonceliac wheat sensitivity in an outpatient digestive endoscopy center: high frequency but insufficient medical approach. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY & HEPATOLOGY, Publish Ahead of Print [10.1097/MEG.0000000000002257].
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology 2021.pdf

Solo gestori archvio

Tipologia: Post-print
Dimensione 583.31 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
583.31 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/10447/527742
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 2
  • Scopus 5
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 5
social impact