The aim of this study was to evaluate the activity and toxicity of a combination regimen of CPT-11 and mitomycin-c as second-line chemotherapy for pretreated patients with advanced, metastatic, or both, gastric adenocarcinoma. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Patients with pretreated metastatic disease or early relapsed after adjuvant chemotherapy were enrolled. Entry criteria included histologic/cytologic diagnosis of gastric adenocarcinoma, age 18 to 75 years, performance status > or =70 (Karnofsky scale), bi-dimensionally measurable disease. Patients received CPT-11 and mitomycin-c at the dosage of 150 mg/m2 on days 1 and 15, and 8 mg/m2 on day 1, respectively, every 4 weeks. The disease evaluation was done every 3 cycles. RESULTS: Among the 38 patients we observed, 1 (3%) complete response and 11 (29%) partial responses for an overall response rate of 32% according to an intent-to-treat analysis. The median duration of response was 6.5 months. The median time to progression was 4 months with a median overall survival 8 months. All patients were evaluable for toxicity and the only grade 3-4 observed toxicities were leukopenia (8%), neutropenia (21%), and anemia (5%). CONCLUSIONS: The combination of CPT-11 and mitomycin-c is an active and well tolerated second-line treatment in pretreated gastric cancer patients. Further studies are needed to test its role in first-line treatment.
|Data di pubblicazione:||2005|
|Titolo:||Irinotecan (CPT-11) and mitomycin-C (MMC) as second-line therapy in advanced gastric cancer: a phase II study of the Gruppo Oncologico dell' Italia Meridionale (prot. 2106).|
|Autori:||GIULIANI, F; MOLICA, S; MAIELLO, E; BATTAGLIA, C; GEBBIA, V; DI BISCEGLIE, M; VINCIARELLI, G; GEBBIA, N; COLUCCI, G|
|Tipologia:||Articolo su rivista|
|Citazione:||GIULIANI, F., MOLICA, S., MAIELLO, E., BATTAGLIA, C., GEBBIA, V., DI BISCEGLIE, M., et al. (2005). Irinotecan (CPT-11) and mitomycin-C (MMC) as second-line therapy in advanced gastric cancer: a phase II study of the Gruppo Oncologico dell' Italia Meridionale (prot. 2106). AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY: CANCER CLINICAL TRIALS, 28, 581-585.|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||01 - Articolo su rivista|